September 27, 2015

60th Day Mark

Today marks the 60th day that I've been here with my family in Roxas City. Again, I apologize for not updating my blog as much. It's a good thing for me, however, cause it means I have too much going on, which is how I want my exchange year to me!
I'll fill you in on what's been happening since August.

Mid-August - Founder's week for my school. One whole week with no classes! My schoolmates and I participated in events like parades and watching basketball games (basketball is really important for my school. Top athletes ranging from 15-20 yrs old are imported to our school to play from different parts of the Philippines, like Manila and Iloilo).


Beginning of September - the 3 French AFS students in Roxas left because they were only on the summer program ): it sucks because only then did I become really close to them. We had a despedida (farewell party) for them the Friday night before their departure. Our friends all came and boy was it a good night. One I forsure won't ever forget.

Now - busy with school and spending time with my host family and friends. CAPRISA (basketball game week where all the teams in the province of Capiz play against each other) is in 2 weeks, which is another week off from school! I'll be busy supporting my school's high school and college team. Go Jaguars <3 Then another 2 weeks of school, then semester break! I do like going to school - seeing my classmates and learning more of the language, but when I'm on holiday, it's waaay more fun to go out and do something with my friends and host family.

I've also been learning alot of the dialect here, Ilonggo, rather than the actual national language, Tagalog. But I don't mind. It's funny actually - my host sister and friends speak to me in Ilonggo now. Not all the time, and not difficult words - just enough for me to be able to keep up the convo. I can understand really well, but I can't really speak it. When texting though, I spit Ilonggo gameee.

How are you: Kamusta kana (slang: musta kna?)
What are you doing: Ga ano kana da? (gaano kada?)
Have you finished eating: Tapos kana makaon? (tapos kna kaon?)
Where are you: Diin ka na? (dn ka?)
Who are you with: Sino upod mo? (upod mo?)
I don't know: Wala ko kabalo (ambot)
Whatever: ambot cmo
It's true/agreed: gani
Liar: butigon
Hungry: gutom
Full: busog
Hot: mainit (init)
Wind: mahangin (angin)
Crazy: buang
Cool: astig

No comments:

Post a Comment